HTML

Monday, February 22, 2016

EDTECH 542- Reflection on Assessments

This week I developed the assessment plan for my Overthrowing a government project.  I took a curricular approach in developing my assessments. I focused on the learning outcomes from the Alberta Curriculum I work with.  I would target an outcome (sometimes more than one) and would develop the assessment idea to ensure these outcomes were covered.  I would indicate these outcomes in the footer which is something I have been doing for a few years now as sort of a personal accountability measure for my assessment practices.  I can quickly see which outcomes I have dealt with and also which outcomes still need to be addressed.  This also helps assure my students that I am having them do activities they are truly supposed to be doing.

I have thought long and hard about allowing some student voice within the creation of the rubrics I have included.  Although I have created the rubric, I would say it is more of a starting point.  I would like to go over it with the class and have them change the rubric into student friendly language.  In my way of thinking, this would   help develop a deep understanding of what was expected of them and and therefore help students hit the targets I am hoping for.  Students may also be more engaged in the whole process if they feel some ownership on how they will be assessed.  I also assume I will have to give less specific feedback at the end of the assessment as the students will already have a good understanding on what the difference between one grade and the next.  It will be interesting to see how well this works out.

My assessment plan can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment